Objective: Establish Bilingual Resilience Program - Design, Implement and validatE for Mineral Exploration Company, China
Reviewed existing emergency response and organizational resilience arrangements. Carried out a business impact analysis to understand critical work and timeframes needed for recovery. Worked with in-country team to draft short, functional, bilingual plans capable of being read and acted on by anyone in the company. Developed and delivered business resilience training and exercise materials. Delivery of 7 exercises over a period of 12 months to develop comfort with the process of responding to unexpected events.
OBJECTIVE: DOCUMENT EXECUTABLE PLANS FOR POWER OPERATIONS AND REDUCTION AT CANADIAN SMELTER TO RESPOND TO SCENARIOS RESULTING FROM A SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER
In line with the global mining client's group procedures and the Business Continuity Institute's good practice guidelines, this work included:
- Analysis and Design;
- Ensured the risks to the smelter of sudden power loss were up to date and understood by management teams;
- Confirmed dependencies and impacts with the smelter and other key stakeholders where necessary;
- Identified options and subsequent resource requirements needed to mitigate the impact of sudden power loss;
- Identified design teams and stakeholders needed for response planning;
- Developed the Business Continuity Plan documents for the site as they pertain to the sudden loss of power;
- Documented executable plans based on design requirements identified.
OBJECTIVE: DEVELOP CONTINGENCY PLANS FOR EXPATS WORKING FOR CLIENT IN ASIA TO DEAL WITH THE THREAT OF DETENTION.
- Reviewed existing threats and available information;
- Drafted an evacuation plan complete with a list of prerequisites needed for its effective execution;
- Designed plan capable of being sent by physical and electronic means without raising attention or mentioning terms such as 'evacuation'.
- Captured lessons learned from previous projects and events;
- Drafted an appreciation planning factors;
- Drafted executable incarceration plan;
- Provided appropriate governance surrounding 'insiders lists' and other sensitive information..
- Provided support and advice on the telephone and respond to queries, questions and requests as necessary;
- Advised on preventative/mitigation measures.
OBJECTIVE: UPDATE THE BUSINESS RESILIENCE & RECOVERY PROGRAM FOR NEW Canadian SMELTER ENVIRONMENT
In line with global mining giant's group procedures and the Business Continuity Institute's Good Practice Guidelines this work included:
- Completed a full Business Impact Analysis (BIA) on the new operation and its technology;
- Qualified and updated the existing risk register;
- Identified appropriate, cost justified, executable workarounds and design teams from within the existing workforce;
- Created a Business Resilience Management Plan that included completed Business Continuity Plans for each group of consolidated risks and executable plans that meet both corporate and insurance brokers standards and requirements;
- Aligned plans with broader corporate arrangements;
- Developed communication plans.
Objective: Bankable Feasibility Study, Yellowknife, NWT, Canada
Initiated bankable feasibility study to extend the life of an existing diamond mine in a remote location. Work included:
- Planned proactive solutions to be implemented given a six week period of ice road access;
- Refined engineering solutions, identified risks and mitigation measures and prepared cost estimates;
- Reviewed forensically: technology, supply chain, contracts, estimates, schedule and resources;
- Developed annual mine life cycle strategies to achieve business objectives;
- Provided strategies and costs to refit accommodation for changing resource levels;
- Designed and implemented a cost-effective mobilization / demobilization strategy.
Objective: Supporting Ebola crisis for global mining company in Guinea, Africa for safety, security and business.
- Developed and implemented a scope of work establishing strategy, managing teams, managing crises and executing the plan for ongoing operations.
- Established overarching strategy to protect and look after employees and community stakeholders in the region, which informed every decision.
- Built crisis management structure to enable the local team in country to continue work, bolstered by five corporate teams managing the unforeseen impacts of the ebola pandemic on the wider group.
- Established process management rules for action, information management and communications to direct operations at the local level whilst simultaneously sharing information upwards and across the organization to ensure everyone operated on a common intelligence picture.
- Designed and implemented contingency arrangements for internal and external teams to constantly monitor local and global health trends, plan for outbreaks and pandemic, and prepare teams to react through training and practicing for these scenarios.